The ministry of Adolescent Faith Formation fosters the development of a comprehensive Catholic Youth Ministry rooted in gospel values, which reflects a family and multicultural perspective in all the parishes and schools of the Archdiocese of Atlanta.
The work of evangelization and catechesis are particularly important areas of focus.. Evangelization is the work of the whole church and we work to help the Church be perceived by youth as a place of welcome and a worthy adventure. Likewise, our catechetical efforts seek to assist those who are leading young people in the ways of Christian discipleship. The Office of Formation and Discipleship supports a ministry to, with, by and for youth which “seeks to draw young people to a responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the Catholic faith community.” (Renewing the Vision, USCC, 1997)
We accomplish this by:
- Promoting ministry to the young church as the responsibility of all the baptized, especially among the adults in the local faith.
- Promoting ministry with youth from diverse cultures.
- Collaborating with diocesan agencies and organizations, regional and national Catholic youth ministry leadership on activities and issues of mutual concern and benefit, consistent with the goals of the Office of Faith Formation.
- Serving the training needs of adult parish youth ministry leadership.
- Advancing the use of technology in support of formation and training, service of parish leadership and the conduct of Adolescent Faith Formation.
We work to provide:
- Leadership Formation and Training
- Training and formation for parish staff, youth & young adult ministry leaders, and parish ministry team members
- New Directors/Coordinators Support
- Certification of youth ministry leaders
- Leadership training for peer youth leaders
- Providing and identifying resources needed for parishes
- Support for Sacramental preparation for Confirmation, including guidance regarding Confirmation retreats
- Oversight of faith formation for youth in middle and high school in the context of comprehensive youth ministry.
- Building a network of support for youth ministry at a variety of levels. Through relationships between ministers, with other dioceses, and with organizations that serve and minister to youth.
- Connection to the national ministry organizations in each area
- Gatherings for formational leaders in each area of ministry
- Providing on-site assistance for parishes and movements by helping parish teams to plan for and implement various aspects of youth ministry in the context of lifelong faith formation.